Monday, May 22, 2006

Choccolocco Creek

Choccolocco Creek begins in Talledega National Forest east of Jacksonville, AL. After leaving it's forested headwaters, this creek flows south through a pastoral setting and a portion of Ft. McClellan Military Reservation. The state record Redeye bass comes from its waters. Terry Johnson brought in a 3 pound, 2 ounce bass while using a 5- to 6-inch sucker for bait in March 8, 2000. The fish was caught, presumably in the lower Choccolocco.

Here, agricultural and urban runoff take there toll on Choccolocco, especially below HW21 and the Anniston/Oxford Exit on I-20. In fact, there is supposedly a high level of PCB's and a health warning on the fish below Anniston. This is a low gradient stream with rock bottom, and occasional class I shoals. It is very similar to Big Wills Creek in nature.

Trip Report (Wild Goose Chase)
Choccolocco Creek
Mellon Bridge Road to boiling Springs Road

The plan was to drive up from Mobile on Friday in the direction the Upper Tallapoosa River. Curtis Wright and I had plans to paddle on an overnight trip on the Tallapoosa Saturday and Sunday. We wanted to camp near the river in the Talladega National Forest, and wade or float a stream nearby on Friday Evening.

We scouted a National Forest Primitive Campground east of Ft. McClellelan on Shoal Creek. It looked good on the map. But, the site was low and marshy. And, the creek was soft bottom and the banks were lined with nettles and snakey looking grass. We were riding down the road in one Toyota Tacoma Truck loaded down with one 16ft Explorer canoe, one 16 ft Necky Sea Kayak, and my 90 pound yellow lab named Doc. Our options were limited.

We backtracked south on HW 9, and kept noticing Choccolocco on the Delorme map off to our west. There are a significant number of access points above and below I-20. It was May the 19th and the all the rivers in the state were low. However, Choccolocco is surrounded by mountains. It's lower elevation and large watershed make it floatable for most of the year. So, at the late hour of 5pm, we squeezed in a short float. Curtis dropped Doc and I off at Melon Bridge. Curtis then drove downstream to Boiling Springs Road Bridge. He paddled upstream there and fished the lower section.

I had the luxury of portaging an easy logjam at the bridge, and then ran a straightforward Class 1- rapid and the float was on. This is the only significant rapid on this stretch, but the flow was swift. I caught one decent redeye, one decent spotted bass, and numerous bream. Some of the bluegills were over a 1/2 pound. I also caught redbreast and green sunfish. The fishing action was good. The smells from the nearby pastureland were occasionally a pit pungent. After about an hour and approaching dark, I met Curtis. He had made it up about a mile above the takeout, paddling against the current in his Necky. Curtis caught a few fish too. We headed downstream to the takeout in time to load up in the fading daylight. We camped that night at Cheaha State Park at 2,400 feet in elevation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually
something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad
for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

Here is my web page :: Diets That work